You should never go back...!

You should never go back, that's what they say. But despite being one of football's more charming clichés, does the old adage actually ring true for players who return to The Den after leaving the pride?

Striker Neil Harris will soon find out. Having covered himself in glory during his first spell at the club, Bomber is about to either concrete his legend status at the club or destroy the memories of those that hold him such high regard for previous achievements. True, he only has to score one more league goal to become the sole record-holder at the club but the Millwall faithful expect more, a lot more.

Here in the dungeons of Millwall Mad, we've been wracking our brains and have come up with a list of ten players who “enjoyed” two spells at the club to see if Harris is on a hiding-to-nothing.

Kevin O'Callaghan
Part of the team that won the FA Youth Cup in 1979, Cally only played a handful of games during his first spell at the club but it was obvious that the youngster was an emerging talent. So much so that Bobby Robson shelled out a cool £250,000 to take him to high-flying Ipswich Town in January 1980. He returned in the summer of 1987 and played an integral role in the Millwall side that won promotion to the top flight. Indeed, Cally scored the goal that secured the club's place in the limelight.
Verdict: Welcome Home

Tony Kinsella
A graduate of the same FA Youth Cup winning team as O'Callaghan, Kinsella stayed around a bit longer than his teammate, playing over sixty times for the first team before he went to the United States to join the Tampa Bay Rowdies in 1981. He later went on to play alongside Cally at Ipswich Town before George Graham resigned him in 1984. He played a minor part in The Lions promotion campaign the following season but failed to hold down a regular spot in the first team.
Verdict: Did enough to remain on the Christmas Card list

Dean Horrix
A product of the youth team, Dean Horrix enjoyed one good season at The Dean before being exchanged for Dean White and bundled off to Gillingham. The Doc re-signed him to act as back-up for the forward line in 1988 and he never let anyone down when called up in the top flight. A move to Bristol City in 1990 was followed by an untimely death in a traffic accident.
Verdict: To absent friends

Alan McLeary
Like Hurlock, O'Callaghan and Carter, Alan McLeary's name will always be synonymous with that epic promotion to the top flight. A decent centre half who also earned an England B Cap, he was courted by the likes of Celtic during his first spell at the club and his desire to move away after The Lions were relegated angered some fans. A rock in the heart of the defence for some considerable time, he eventually got his wish and signed for Charlton in 1993 after an injury-hit season. When he returned in February 1997 the club was in a right old state and heading into oblivion. McLeary once again rose to the challenge and along with his old sparring partner Keith Stevens, become the foundation upon which The Lions rebuilt themselves.
Verdict: Our door is always open

Terry Hurlock
Terry Hurlock is, was and always will be a legend at Millwall. Older fans still get a tear in the eye when remembering in his pomp as The Lions took the old First Division by storm. Top by October, Terry made his presence felt amongst the games elite and his performances were recognised at international level as he won an England B cap at the end of the season. His second spell, however, didn't get off to the best of starts as he was sent off after only nine minutes. Still, his mere presence in midfield helped secure a play-off spot for the club before leaving on a free transfer to Fulham.
Verdict: Bit of a rollercoaster

Neil Ruddock
Razor Ruddock had a funny old Millwall career. Two spells, and very little to show for either of them except for a surprising spell in midfield under The Doc where he scored some scorchers.
Verdict: A passing house guest
Jimmy Carter
Having served a term of office as US President, Jimmy Carter decided he needed a break from politics and joined Millwall to give them a bit of pace down the flanks. And he didn't disappoint, providing the ammunition for Tony Cascarino and Teddy Sheringham to make a name for themselves. He also chipped in with a couple of goals himself for good measure, which eventually earned him a dream move to Liverpool. Things didn't really work out for Peanut at Anfield, nor Highbury, where he later played before he ended up at Portsmouth and scored the goal that sent The Lions crashing into the third tier of English football. Rejoined in the summer of 1998 but injuries curtailed his involvement in a very poor Millwall side.
Verdict: Should've stayed away

Andy Roberts
Part of the team that won the FA Youth Cup in 1991, Andy Roberts was one of the great hopes of the future under Mick McCarthy. A first team regular before the age of twenty, he played around 150 times for The Lions before Reg Burr sold him to Crystal Palace for £2.5 Million in the summer of 1995, just after he was awarded Player of the Season. Became a Premiership regular with both The Eagles and Wimbledon before returning on a free at the start of the 2002/03 season, just in time to help the club reach the FA Cup Final. There was to be no happy ending for Roberts, though, as he missed the game through “injury”… Well, that was the club's official line, anyway. Kevin Muscat may tell you a different story.
Verdict: He's welcome to stay but hide your mobile

Tim Carter
It says a lot when a club signs you for nothing and then let's you go for nothing as well. It says even more when it happens twice. Did nothing wrong in his first stint as a reserve keeper, but as a first choice, he was a disaster waiting to happen. Good shot stopper. Crap at everything else, though.
Verdict: Never darken our door again

Christophe Kinet
Having been released at the end of the season in May 2002, you would have thought the Belgian winger would have got the message that Mark McGhee didn't like him, but Christophe returned to the club the following August, having failed to land a contract elsewhere. His first spell was eventful to say the least – having displaced Michael Gilkes on the left wing, he become something of first team fixture, scoring several wonder goals and a hattrick from the flank in an LDV Vans Trophy tie. But the surly Scotsman didn't take kindly to the small man from the continent and could be seen mouthing the word “wanker” after he struck a sublime free-kick against Coventry City. His second spell was full of fits and starts, memorable for another long-range effort away to Preston North End and little else.
Verdict: Blotted his copybook