Gillingham 4 Millwall 3

Last updated : 08 September 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Gillingham twice came from behind to defeat Millwall 4-3 in a seven-goal thriller at Priestfield.

After battling back all afternoon it was Gills' substitute Nyron Nosworthy who grabbed the winner for the hosts with just two minutes left.

However, neither of the managers; Andy Hessenthaler or Mark McGhee will be happy with their team's defending.

The Lions, unbeaten in five league starts before this one, would have gone top had they won but finished second best to a Gillingham side who have done well in recent meetings between the two sides.

They took four points off the Lions last season and beat them three times the previous year but Millwall made the better start here, going in front after only 11 minutes through Paul Ifill.

Gillingham lost possession in the centre circle and a quick break led to Ifill firing past Vince Bartram for the opener.

However, Gillingham were level on the half-hour with a goal almost out of nothing. Marlon King's cross found Mama Sidibe unmarked and his header beat Tony Warner inside his near post.

Then Paul Shaw put Gillingham in front, scoring against his old club. He and Danny Spiller combined for a neat one-two and Shaw finished with a low shot into the net.

Millwall came back strongly in the second half to lead 3-2. New Belgian import Bob Peeters made it 2-2 converting substitute Neil Harris' cross from the byline. Nine minutes later he made it 3-2, shooting home his third in two games after Ifill had robbed Gillingham defender John Hills on the edge of the box.

Bartram, making his first appearance of the season, then saved well from Harris to deny Millwall a fourth, and then opposite number Warner pulled off a superb save to deny Rod Wallace an equaliser.

Wallace made all the difference when he came on to replace Sidibe. His flick on set up King to score the third, with his first of the season after seven months out following a knee operation.

Then King turned provider with the perfect pass for Nosworthy to chip home the fourth with two minutes remaining.

Gillingham missed a great chance to make it 4-2 when King and Wallace got in each others way and there was still time left for Bartram to make another important save from Stuart Nethercott at the death at the other end.

However the Gills stopper finished the game with a suspected double break of the right wrist at the end of an eventful and frenetic 90 minutes.